Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Facebook's valuation.

I'll admit, contrary to my anti-social real self, my digital self is a fairly good networker. After almost 30 years in the business, I have somehow maintained a decent reputation and have risen to a level where even people who don't like me think it might help them to link in to me or to friend me. As a consequence, I have nearly 600 friends on Facebook and over 750 colleagues to whom I am linked.

I've heard a lot of late about Facebook being worth $50 billion, more than giant industrial corporations that employ tens of thousands of people. Partly I suppose this is valuation is a function of Facebook's over 600 million members and their ability to target ads based on customer information.

Then why the hell am I getting ads for slim-fit dress shirts?

No comments: