Friday, July 20, 2012

At an awards show.

I am up in Boston for the next couple of days for a couple of reasons. First off, I've been asked by an old friend to judge an award show--and while I usually turn down such requests--this one is in Boston where my oldest daughter lives and I couldn't turn down a chance to see her in her absolute splendor. And second, my wife and I just gave birth to a new golden retriever puppy and my wife's driving up with the pup to meet her older sister.

In all, I'll be doing more judging than daughtering, but that's ok. Little things can mean a lot.

Here are some early random observations from the weekend.

If you're hotel room has one of those Keurig coffee makers, don't use it. The coffee is slightly below the quality you get during domestic air travel.

If you're given a "deluxe" room, immediately ask for an upgrade. Deluxe in most hotels is like bivouacking in Georgia in a swamp.

If there are twenty other judges, you're likely to remember two or three names. Get over appearing foolish. It's ok.

Advertising is an amazing industry populated by people who really love what they do. Seriously, the love of the people here for the job of advertising is astounding.

That's about all for now.

I'm going to try to be friendly, thoughtful and uncynical. The first two will be hard. The last nearly impossible.

No comments: