Thursday, August 23, 2012

For Klimt.

As I said in my previous post, I took the day off to see the Gustave Klimt show at the Neue Gallery on Fifth Avenue and 86th. The museum is celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Klimt's birth and the gallery is showing a half dozen portraits (including Adele Bloch-Bauer I) and dozens and dozens of smaller paintings and charcoal sketches.

Additionally, the exhibition rooms are decorated the works of the Wiener Werkstatte, including furniture by Josef Hoffmann and Koloman Moser. Their work deserves a show in its own right. If you don't know the work of the Werkstatte, do some Googling. My guess is you'll like what you see.

The whole schmear, as they say in Yiddish, made quite an impression on me. 

I especially liked this line which Klimt wrote in a letter to a friend in 1903. "There is always hope, as long as canvasses are empty."





No comments: