Saturday, December 8, 2012

Being 55.

Today I turned 55.

On some days it seems I am 30 years older than most of the people around me in my agency.

They speak about things with such conviction. The conviction of a Jehovah's Witness in the subway at 10PM on a Sunday.

Things that mean nothing to me. 

They talk about conversations involving brands. Though I've never had one beyond, I hate fucking airlines, I hate Time-Warner, I hate Verizon and I love Apple and Nordstroms.

They talk about Instagram. Though I have no interest whatsoever in seeing anyone else's pictures.

They talk about online experiences. Another concept that baffles me.

I have never been one of the cool kids and never will be.

And like I said, the whole social thing is lost on me. And you know what, if I see a concert, I think about the opus I heard or the artist. Not my payment mechanism. Paying for tickets is something I did myself. I don't praise a credit card for my hard work.

I am officially passed by in my agency.

They don't take me seriously, I guess because I don't take a lot of these things seriously.

But when a big brand defining idea is needed, suddenly Pinterest seems like a toy. A Facebook page is as useful as a one-legged jockey.

That's when my phone rings.

I stand up. My ancient knees crack.

I go to the meeting.

I find a path, a place, a position for a brand.

Then I go home.

That's life for an old person in advertising today.

5 comments:

dave trott said...

William Munny

Rich Siegel said...

Happy Cranky Birthday George.

Tore Claesson said...

happy birthday. Take solace in the fact that most of the 25 something will also be 50 something soon enough.

Unknown said...

Ditto

Anonymous said...

Get laid.