Friday, August 7, 2015

Victims.

Of all the things that have served to all but kill the advertising industry, and most others for that matter, the most vicious has been that old stand-by: greed.

To my mind, the most blatant demonstration of bald-faced greed came into practice when the television industry transitioned from being delivered through the air to being delivered through cable. TV went from being free to being something you paid for.

All at once, playing commercials started, again to my mind, double-dipping. We were paying for TV with money, why did we also have to pay by having to watch commercials? TV was making us pay twice.

Then, of course, the cable companies decided since they had a government-endowed sinecure which gave them a monopoly, that they could rake consumers over the coals. The idea that you have to pay and pay and pay for things you don't want--because they're bundled--is absolutely un-American.

I don't watch a lot of television, in fact, I've never watched less. But when I do watch, I utilize one of about seven channels. Of course, I'm paying for 2,000 or more--even with the most basic service.

Those who know me--who know my insomnia--know that the chances of me tuning into the Garlic Channel's "Back-to-School" Special is slim. Nevertheless, I have to pay for it.

I think most people, Trump supporters or not, feel that the television industry is yet another powerful force over which they have no control. They know they're being schtupped and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

So, we have a nation of victims.

Victims of advertising they're paying for twice.

Victims of television who are ripping them off.

No comments: